Friday, July 25, 2008

Jacob's Mini Prairie Schooner


He didn't even tell me he'd made it!  That's pretty typical of Jacob Schrock, my quiet, young Amish friend who is indespensible at Grazeland Farms.  

It's not surprising that Jacob took our schooner idea home and put it to work in his back yard; he's a natural inventor.  A typical Amish farm boy, he's got common sense enough for a dozen city-raised guys like me.

The mini schooner shares PVC runners (could be 3" here) and PVC hoops and a tarp cover.  It uses chicken wire and hanging jugs for clean water buckets.  With the rains we've been having in north Missouri he probably hasn't had to fill them but once!

There are 25 broilers within.  He pulls the sled daily with the baling twine "harness." 

I've seen a lot of mini-coops and made a few myself and I think this beats most for ease of construction, ease of pulling, safety from predators and ease on the wallet.  I'm convinced that the portable coop is the weakest link in the pastured poultry production chain - especially NOW THAT WE ARE HOSTING A RENT-YOUR-PLUCKER PAGE!

I'll be posting the details very soon.

4 comments:

Diogenes said...

very cool design. I've got a "conventional" chicken tractor. 4x4x10 but it's too heavy to move much.
I've been thinking of raising pastured broilers but have put it off because of the difficulty of dragging the pen around the field.
I've got a problem with foxes so I'm not sure of the security of this design.
How's it holding up

chilledtees said...

Really useful blog.Good work keeping this updated! awesome tees Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

can you post material bill on mini prairie schooner

rick cole said...

Does anybody have tim shell's improved pastured peeper chickens